What's the bloody point..
Tralfamador
2009-01-26 12:46:32 UTC
... of broadband if you get the letter below as soon as you use it for
it's intended purpose? IE; Streaming video, radio, music, films, skype etc.
?

80kbps? That's an insult! Are you going to refund by the same amount?

So, all you folks looking forward to their shiny new 50meg connections...
nice to look at but don't you dare bloody use it or they'll throttle you
back to 1995!

It's like having a Porsche in the garage but if you drive it the way the
designers intended Big Brother will come 'round and nobble it to 25mph!

Why should we, who pay more than the current average, suffer for VMs lack of
investment in infrastructure? Siphoning off our cash into the pockets of
their shareholders whilst we cope with ancient and inadequate service?

The product is advertised as suitable for video, audio, streaming, a/v comms
etc. yet is not fit for purpose, as is evidenced by their draconian
rationing that would make the WWII food ministry blush!

Anyone else think "fit for purpose" and their obviously inadequate
infrastructure are mutually exclusive?

Perhaps trading standards should take a look?

Hello there,

We've noticed recently that you've been using your Virgin Media Broadband
connection to upload and download a lot more than we'd expect.

While we're pleased that you're enjoying using our broadband service, when
someone downloads an unusually large amount of information over a long
period of time, it can slow down the internet speed for other users. So, to
make sure our service is fair for everybody, we'll need to moderate the
speeds of your service as mentioned in our Acceptable Use Policy.

If the amount that you've been downloading is affecting other Virgin Media
users during peak times, we normally only reduce your speeds to 512Kbps for
the rest of the day, and this is usually enough to help us make sure that
everyone can enjoy a speedy broadband connection. But, if your use is higher
than normal during the peak times of the week, and doesn't seem to be
getting any less even with the reduction to 512Kbps, we'll eventually reduce
your broadband speed during peak times to 80Kbps - and that's for the rest
of the week.

How this affects you
Because we have seen prolonged high usage on your account, we'll be
moderating the internet use during peak times for the rest of this week
(until Sunday night).
This means that from 4pm to midnight from Monday to Friday, and 10am to
midnight on Saturday and Sunday your broadband service will be 80Kbps
(that's
just faster than a dial-up connection). During these times you might want to
stagger your use, so that you're not doing everything in one go. Outside of
these times, you'll be able to use your service as normal, with speeds of up
to 8Mb. If you'd like to find out a bit more about why we do this just click
here.

Keeping track of what you're using
To avoid this happening again, you can cut down on the amount you're
downloading at peak times and, after Sunday, we'll put things on your
account back to normal. To help keep track on this, there are lots of handy
tools available on the internet which can tell you how much you're
downloading over a specific period.
If the next time we look at our users we notice that you're still
downloading more than we'd expect, we'll just apply the usage restrictions
again and let you know what's happening.

Want to know more about our Acceptable Use Policy? Just click here to read
the whole thing.

The Virgin Media team
Ponder
2009-01-26 15:50:08 UTC
Hiya Tralfamador.

In <Ofifl.313601$***@newsfe29.ams2> you wrote:

[Snip]
Post by Tralfamador
Anyone else think "fit for purpose" and their obviously inadequate
infrastructure are mutually exclusive?
[Snip]

Looks like ADSL to me. If I was stuck with ADSL I wouldn't go near VM with
a very large barge pole. Time for a change of provider methinks?

BTW, 50Mbit/s is only available via cable, and is therefore only(!)
subject to STM (currently 50 is free from STM but watch this space) which is
far less Draconian than the measures used against you.
--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
Tralfamador
2009-01-26 22:51:09 UTC
Post by Ponder
Hiya Tralfamador.
[Snip]
Post by Tralfamador
Anyone else think "fit for purpose" and their obviously inadequate
infrastructure are mutually exclusive?
[Snip]
Looks like ADSL to me. If I was stuck with ADSL I wouldn't go near
VM with a very large barge pole. Time for a change of provider
methinks?
BTW, 50Mbit/s is only available via cable, and is therefore only(!)
subject to STM (currently 50 is free from STM but watch this space)
which is far less Draconian than the measures used against you.
Cheers Ponder...

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
2009-01-28 03:44:24 UTC
Post by Tralfamador
Post by Ponder
Hiya Tralfamador.
[Snip]
Post by Tralfamador
Anyone else think "fit for purpose" and their obviously inadequate
infrastructure are mutually exclusive?
[Snip]
Looks like ADSL to me. If I was stuck with ADSL I wouldn't go near
VM with a very large barge pole. Time for a change of provider
methinks?
BTW, 50Mbit/s is only available via cable, and is therefore only(!)
subject to STM (currently 50 is free from STM but watch this space)
which is far less Draconian than the measures used against you.
Cheers Ponder...
VM's ADSL service isn't up to much. Though is difficult for ADSL
providers who are reselling a BT Wholesale product as the ISP is
charge by the amount if data you upload/download, hence most ADSL ISPs
have limits on what you can download.
nemo
2009-08-21 10:33:46 UTC
Bit puzzled. Accordion to the table at the bottom of here . . .

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

. . Traffic Manglement is N/A = not applicable - to the XXL 50Mb
connection. An article in the latest Computer Shopper magazine confirms this
at the bottom of page 72.. So there's your answer. To avoid throttling, pay
through the nose for 50Mb. Mind you, you'll only get 26Mb or so, but it's
better than being throttled.

Reminds me of the bad old days of GPO Telephones when they had a dire
shortage of exchange capacity for the demand, so they charged a huge amount
for a phone to *stop* all but the rich having them instead of building more
exchanges!

Pity. He seems quite a nice bloke, that Richard Branston. Looks like he's
got this end of his business into a bit of a pickle. :o)

Nemo.

PS: Newbie to broadband. Had 10Mb a couple of weeks now. No throttling
troubles yet. Or does throttling only apply to downloads from the web and
not to those from the Usenet I wonder.
The Virgin Media team
DaveG
2009-08-21 11:08:30 UTC
Post by nemo
Bit puzzled. Accordion to the table at the bottom of here . . .
Is it a musical table?
Post by nemo
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html
. . Traffic Manglement is N/A = not applicable - to the XXL 50Mb
connection. An article in the latest Computer Shopper magazine confirms
this at the bottom of page 72.. So there's your answer. To avoid
throttling, pay through the nose for 50Mb. Mind you, you'll only get
26Mb or so, but it's better than being throttled.
Not sure why you think you'll only get half speed on an unthrottled
connection. On the other hand, very few places you might connect to can
deliver 50Mb/s to you anyway.
Post by nemo
Reminds me of the bad old days of GPO Telephones when they had a dire
shortage of exchange capacity for the demand, so they charged a huge
amount for a phone to *stop* all but the rich having them instead of
building more exchanges!
It not that cheap now, if you don't have a line already into your house.
Post by nemo
Pity. He seems quite a nice bloke, that Richard Branston. Looks like
he's got this end of his business into a bit of a pickle. :o)
His holding company has about 10% shares in VM. He doesn't hold all the
shares in his holding company. So his share of VM is actually quite low.
Post by nemo
Nemo.
PS: Newbie to broadband. Had 10Mb a couple of weeks now. No throttling
troubles yet. Or does throttling only apply to downloads from the web
and not to those from the Usenet I wonder.
Throttling applies to all protocols if you pass any of the thresholds
listed in the table. Doesn't matter if it's an up or down threshold,
both up and down get throttled.
--
You cannot simply assume someone is honest
just because they are not an MP.
nemo
2009-08-22 11:25:55 UTC
Post by DaveG
Post by nemo
Bit puzzled. Accordion to the table at the bottom of here . . .
Is it a musical table?
Sorry. Too much time on a.h.puns!
themoneyclub
2010-12-02 19:01:17 UTC
I was informed recently that this download restriction is a load of rubbish
the bandwidth is set from where you download from
and it dosn't affect anyone else, the upload is a different matter, can
anyone confirm this.
The Virgin Media team
dougie
2009-08-21 13:50:46 UTC
Post by Tralfamador
[...]
This is talking about ADSL
--
D o u g i e

http://www.dougiek.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/dougiekinnear
Carl Waring
2009-08-21 15:31:26 UTC
Post by dougie
Post by Tralfamador
... of broadband if you get the letter below as soon as you use it for
it's intended purpose? IE; Streaming video, radio, music, films, skype etc.
?
80kbps? That's an insult! Are you going to refund by the same amount?
This is talking about ADSL
Well yeah. You don't expect people to get their facts right when having a
good old rant, do you? ;-D
--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide - The Worlds Best TV Guide: